Site menu:

11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Recent Comments

Day 5 – 20th August … on the road

My Location

I write this just before I set off on the first leg. Today and tomorrow are fairly easy rides. About 200kms each. I am riding up Highway 400 past Parry Sound, on towards Sudbury and then turning left towards Espanola. I am overnight at a little town called Massey.

I will add to this when I get there – I hope!

Well I’m here – I’m going to need to check my mileages again.  I thought today was only going to be about 200kms …. it was nearer 350kms!

The geography is different to what I had thought it would be – I had expected it to be a bit barren and un-interesting.  It was not flat, there were loads of trees and the road is cut through the rock of the Canadian Shield on either side.  After about 50kms I looked right and saw this lovely lake off the highway. “Wow” I thought, “perhaps I should stop and get a picture”.  I didn’t, mainly because of the 50ft truck on my tail – but it didn’t matter anyhow – I saw another 100 similar lakes or more before the days end!  I’ll get used to this country at some point.

**************************************************

As I was leaving my sisters place, the first part of the road away from hers is downhill and very gravelly, I didn’t think I was going to make it to the main road – things get a bit blurry through salt water …

Lesley – I really can’t thank you and Bob enough for what you did to help me get this thing on the road. “Thanks” is all I have.

Leanne – follow your heart.  You are young enough to make a mistake, but I’m sure you won’t because you’re smart enough to turn any decision into the right one.

Matt - You’re right … you’re bed is too short!  Thanks for the loan of it all the same.

***************************************

I’m looking forward to tomorrow – I go through the first National Park on my route.  Check in tomorrow to see where it is.

I know, I’m such a tease … and I’ll try and get some more pictures up – the site is blocked from the PC I am using right now.

Comments

Comment from ST
Time 20 August, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Getcher mota runnin Dude !

Take it easy – and dont worry about the Mounties, we made yer description as vague as poss …..

Comment from Suffolk Punch.
Time 20 August, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Hello Chizz, I`ll be checking your `blog` every day. Hope that you have a fantastic trip and it sounds like you got off to a good start. Wish I was there too….anyway mate, have a good one and ride safe. And watch out for those big male Grizzleys….they`re not choosy this time of year (bit like Red Monkey….`allegedly`).

Comment from Blizzard
Time 20 August, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Best of luck Master Chizz.

don’t go breaking anything, especially yourself

Comment from Wayne Jenkins
Time 20 August, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Well you’re not missing much over here other than a very quiet t595.net and constant rain. “Kermit” doesn’t look so bad to me but then even Mr Punch looks normal in certain (fading) light conditions.

Yes, some bikes still have a fuel tap and a choke – just remember that they normally go through 180 degrees for “reserve” and you’ll be OK!!!!

Comment from Rob
Time 21 August, 2008 at 2:47 am

Hi Guys – thanks so much for checking in. I don’t know why but I thought the run up from Coldwater to Massey was only about 200kms – it was nearer 350!

Blizz – watch out for an ‘Original Blizzard’ soon. You’ll see what I mean when I can get the picture posted up.

SP – I’d say ‘knackers’, but I hadn’t better ;-)

RM – it actually look’s better in the flesh … I’m getting worried – I’m even starting to like it. I guess it’s the loneliness of the open road.

ST – a bit difficult to make it too vague when the things THAT green!

Comment from Mark
Time 21 August, 2008 at 11:42 am

Dad – Don’t forget to group the photos into sets on Flickr so they will appear on your photo page. I don’t mind doing it for you but may be a day or so after you’ve uploaded them and I may group them incorrectly.

Comment from rob
Time 21 August, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Mark – I will have a look at that when I get more of a chance. The PC I’m at right now won’t let me access Flickr, but I may be able to have a look at it over the next day or so.

Comment from Mark
Time 21 August, 2008 at 2:59 pm

You will see on the photo page I have already grouped the Skydome picture and video and pictures taken at Lesley’s house into sets. Anyway, enough of that where you off to today?

Write a comment